In our last post, Web Design: Why It’s Important and How We Do It (Part 1), we took a look at why good web design is important to the success of your business. Today, we’ll share our simple 3-step process that can take your website design from concept to completion.
STEP 1: DISCOVERY
For any potential project, we start with an informal meeting to discuss intent and scope. From a visual perspective, we’ll cover things like:
- Your communication goals for a site redesign or build
- A brief review of your current website and a look at the competitive landscape
- A discussion about your brand and branding guidelines, if you have them
- Identification of visual assets (logo files, imagery) or plan for acquisition (stock photography, photoshoot, videos, etc.)
- A look at site structure and identification of unique page types to meet your marketing goals and user needs
STEP 2: INITIAL DESIGN DEFINITION (recommended on a case-by-case basis)
If your brand is not clearly defined or could benefit from enhancement, we can create materials that will help you visualize how things will ultimately look and the overall personality of your site. Some of the items we’ll create include:
- Moodboards (a collage of imagery and ideas that act as the groundwork for design)
- Simple branding guidelines (a “cheat sheet” defining typography, colors, and image style)
- Wireframes (a visual outline of how the important elements on your page designs will lay out)
Collaboration is key in this phase, and we welcome your input to capture the visual essence of who your company is.
STEP 3: DESIGN MOCKUPS
In this phase, the real work begins. We’ll take the information we’ve gathered in Step 1 and apply any design schema developed in Step 2 to mockup your page designs. We’ll create your homepage and any unique subpage types or interface elements and share them with you – so there won’t be any surprises when the final site is built. From there, we’ll gather your feedback and refine the design per your input in a two-part review. With your approval and sign off, we’ll move straight to the site build. You’ll have access to the demo site where you can see your site come to life.
Sound easy? It really is. Contact us today to start the process.